Mary, Mother of Mankind Church built in 1967
Mary, Mother of Mankind Parish
Mary, Mother of Mankind Church had its origins as a Chapel erected in 1954 as a result of efforts of the Marian Sodality, who brought with them, from their native Caserta, Italy, a deep love for our Blessed Mother. She was the Patroness of their village and they wished to honor her with a shrine. Beginning
in 1956, every Sunday approximately 80 members of the Society would gather to pray the rosary.
In August of 1960, the Chapel Committee, transferred the deeds of the Chapel and land, donated to the Society by Mr. & Mrs. Vito DiGuilio in memory of their parents Bernard and Carmella DiGuilio, to the Diocese of Providence.
The following month, Msgr. Galliano J. Cavallaro, Pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Providence, who was Chaplain to the Society, celebrated the first mass. Thereafter, Mass was celebrated several times a year at the Chapel.
In response to a petition of over 100 families, the Most Rev. Russell J. McVinney, Bishop of Providence elevated the Chapel to the status of a Mission of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish.
Msgr. Cavallaro arranged 2 Masses to be offered each Sunday at 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
Effective on September 6, 1967 Bishop McVinney raised the Mission status of the Chapel to a full Parish Church under the Patronage and protection of Mary under the title Mary, Mother of Mankind. The Rev. William E. Palmer was appointed the first pastor.
In November of 1972 Rev. Clyde J. Walsh was appointed pastor and under his tenure, work on construction of a new church building in May 1979 began, with completion in May 1980. A rectory was attached to the church and finished in 1981.
In October 2010, under the wonderful and gracious guidance of Fr. Grant, St. Lawrence Parish was merged with Mary,Mother of Mankind Parish. In addition to a very warm welcome for its parishioners, a statue from St. Lawrence found a new home in the garden of our parish.
Rev. William Palmer 9/6/1967 - 3/17/1972
Rev. Cornelius Lynch 3/1972 - 11/22/1972
Rev. Clyde Walsh 11/7/1972 - 7/2/1984
Rev. Barry Connerton 7/9/1984 - 6/20/1991
Rev. Ed McGovern 6/20/1991 - 6/22/1997
Rev. Stephen Silipigni 6/27/1997 - 1/12/2003
Rev. Douglas Grant 6/15/2003 - 7/1/2011
Rev. Joseph Pescatello 7/1/2011 -7/1/2018
Rev. Dennis J. Kieton 7/1/2018- 7/1/2020
Rev. TJ Varghese 7/1/2020- Current
Father William E. Palmer-Parish Founder
Father Clyde Walsh-
Pastor of the Rebuilt MMM
Father TJ Varghese -Current Pastor